ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-cwg-stewardship-draft-proposal-22apr15]

IAB IANA Evolution Program commment on CWG Stewardship Draft Proposal

  • To: comments-cwg-stewardship-draft-proposal-22apr15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: IAB IANA Evolution Program commment on CWG Stewardship Draft Proposal
  • From: Russ Housley <housley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 10:38:44 -0400

To the ICANN CWG-Stewardship and the IAB:

The IAB creates and manages programs for topics that require a long-term
perspective and that may require insights and expertise from people not
necessarily appointed to the IAB.  The IAB IANA Evolution program is one such
program.  Any output of an IAB program does not necessarily reflect the views
of the IAB.  Nor does it reflect IETF consensus.

The IAB IANA Evolution has some some comments about the ICANN CWG-Stewardship
second draft proposal, available at
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/cwg-stewardship-draft-proposal-with-annexes-22apr15-en.pdf.
  Please find comments from the program below.  Note that the IAB is copied on
this note so that it is aware of our correspondence.

We observe that the CWG-Stewardship continues to work and expects to complete
its proposal in June.  We congratulate the CWG-Stewardship for the considerable
work it has accomplished in a short time.

The proposal includes a plan to create a "Post-Transition IANA" or PTI.  The
PTI is to be a separate legal entity, subsidiary to ICANN (an "affiliate").
The precise details of organization, control, and governance are not entirely
laid out in the proposal, but we believe it is likely to be either a
public-benefit corporation or an LLC, under a board with at least a majority
appointed by the ICANN board.

The IETF community prepared a plan in advance of the proposal to create PTI,
and IETF consensus was to continue the current arrangement with ICANN.  As a
result, we believe that the IETF's agreements for the protocol parameters IANA
function will continue to be with ICANN.  If ICANN chooses to create internal
structures (such as the PTI) for the delivery of that service, we do not
believe that entails changing the IETF's agreements.  We expect legal analysis
by the IETF will be required as the details emerge of how the PTI is to be
constituted and funded, and that analysis could change our evaluation of what
arrangements are needed.

The proposal also contains some scenarios in which the IAB might be invited to
participate either directly or via liaison in additional ICANN-related
activities.  We believe the IAB will need to evaluate those possibilities
carefully in the future, when all the details are available.  However,
arrangements for the protocol parameters part of IANA are not dependent on such
participation.

We observe that the proposal is in some ways dependent on decisions by the
ICANN CCWG-Accountability, and we have not completed our evaluation of current
CCWG-Accountability proposals.

Best regards,
    Russ Housley
    IAB IANA Evolution program chair