ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-draft-pti-bylaws-12jul16]

PTI Bylaws Comments on the Draft PTI Bylaws

  • To: "comments-draft-pti-bylaws-12jul16@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-draft-pti-bylaws-12jul16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: PTI Bylaws Comments on the Draft PTI Bylaws
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 15:53:50 +0000

These comments are sent in my personal capacity instead of from the CWG
Stewardship Design Team O (IANA Budget) because time did not allow me to
confirm them with DT-O members.  But I do believe that they reflect the views
of the DT-O members who participated in recent weeks.
First of all I want to thank everyone who has worked so hard to prepare the PTI
Bylaws as well as all the other PTI governance documents.  I have sincerely
appreciated the amount of effort committed and the transparency of the process.
My comments relate to the portion of the Bylaws about the PTI budget, the topic
DT-O was tasked to work.  DT-O has worked closely with Xavier Calvez and the
ICANN Finance team along with Elise Gerich from the IANA team regarding staff's
work in developing a PTI Budget development and approval process as required in
the CWG Stewardship proposal.  DT-O provided input to staff throughout their
work and recently expressed support for the process that will be submitted to
the full CWG prior to its meeting on 11 August.
In a DT-O call on 10 August, DT-O members agreed that the proposed process with
one modification agreed to by Xavier meets the IANA budget requirement s in the
CWG proposal.  In particular:

*         It requires submission of a proposed IANA budget nine months in
advance of the next fiscal year.

*         It requires community input to that proposed budget before it is
approved by the PTI Board.

*         It fulfills ICANN's commitment to a Caretaker IANA Budget and ensures
uninterrupted funding of the IANA services.

*         It requires ICANN Board approval of the PTI Operating Plan & Budget
before approval of the ICANN Operating Plan & Budget.
All details of the process are not included in the Draft PTI Bylaws nor do DT-O
participants think that level of detail is needed in the Bylaws.
Regarding Draft PTI Bylaws section 9.2, DT-O supports the language proposed by
DT-O in the CWG 11 August meeting as edited by Kavouss Arasteh and Olivier
Crepin-Leblond.
Chuck Gomes (DT-O Lead)