ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-enhancing-accountability-06may14]

Accountability Contribution from InternetNZ (.nz ccTLD)

  • To: comments-enhancing-accountability-06may14@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Accountability Contribution from InternetNZ (.nz ccTLD)
  • From: Jordan Carter <jordan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 18:21:28 +1200

Dear Fadi and Steve,

This email is our formal submission in response to ICANN's call for comments on
ICANN accountability, as published on 6 May 2014.

As is the case with most other parts of the ICANN community, we focused a great
deal of attention and effort in dealing with the IANA Transition consultation
which completed on 8 May.

We have not had time within the 21-day comment period to prepare a meaningful
contribution, and we know that other ccTLDs and other ICANN community
participants are in a similar position.

For ICANN, these processes are clearly front of mind and a priority. For the
rest of us, they come on top of business as usual.

Most of us do not have significant staff and financial resources to commit to
this process.

Multiple streams of consultation, and very short comment periods, do not permit
the opportunity for meaningful involvement on these very important issues for
organisations that have to focus on "the day job", as well as taking an
interest in the global framework within which the DNS operates.

The consequence of this reality has to be a more deliberate and considered
pace.

We urge you to extend the comment period on this accountability consultation by
at least another two weeks, and to undertake to us and to the whole community
that your future management of the wide range of discussions involved with
ending US Government stewardship of the DNS can proceed in a truly bottom-up,
multistakeholder fashion.

It simply is not realistic to expect community participants to be able to focus
on these issues with the degree of focus, intensity and resource that ICANN
itself can deploy.

Your response, as individuals and as representatives of ICANN, to this request
for a more considered pace and more time for comment on Accountability matters
will tell us much of what we need to know about whether the rhetoric of
accountability, transparency and inclusion is going to be matched by reality.

We believe you can make these processes demonstrate ICANN's fitness to be the
steward of the DNS. We urge you to take the opportunity to do so.

With many thanks for your consideration,

InternetNZ

--
Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
InternetNZ

04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
jordan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: jordancarter

To promote the Internet's benefits and uses, and protect its potential.