ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-expected-standards-revisions-16may16]

Google Comment on ICANN Standards of Behavior

  • To: comments-expected-standards-revisions-16may16@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Google Comment on ICANN Standards of Behavior
  • From: Jordyn Buchanan <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 17:24:52 -0400

Please find attached in PDF form Google's comments on ICANN's proposed
revisions to its expected standards of revision, the text of which I
reproduce below:

Google Inc. (“Google”) appreciates the opportunity to comment on ICANN’s
proposed Revisions to ICANN Expected Standards of Behaviors.  This is an
important topic and we applaud ICANN’s attempt to deal with it in light of
discussion at ICANN 55.

We support ICANN in its decision to revise its Expected Standards of
Behavior and to address harassment in particular.  It is imperative that
ICANN provide all participants in the multistakeholder process with a safe
forum.  In addition to being consistent with general human rights
principles and legal norms throughout the world, an environment free of
harassment is essential to meaningful inclusion and engagement by a diverse
range of participants.

We believe that the currently proposed revisions represent a significant
improvement in this regard, but that they could be further strengthened in
at least one important respect.  First, we note that ICANN’s proposed
standards are very similar to the harassment policy adopted by the IETF,
but do not include the IETF’s examples of specific behavior that would be
considered to be harassment.  ICANN’s expected standards would be improved
by the inclusion of similar examples.

More importantly than the exact language in the Expected Standards of
Behavior, however, ICANN must pair the Standards with an effective
grievance mechanism for receiving and resolving complaints related to
harassment at ICANN events.  Although we are aware that in recent months
some members of the ICANN community have raised issues related to
harassment with ICANN’s Ombudsman, we do not believe that the Ombudsman is
chartered with resolving such complaints.  Also, an effective resolution
mechanism would include the ability for ICANN to take appropriate
disciplinary action against a harasser; because the Ombudsman’s decisions
are advisory only, we believe a new mechanism must be established.  We
encourage ICANN to establish a clear process for accepting and resolving
complaints as soon as possible; although it may be too late to do so in
advance of the Helsinki meeting, we believe ICANN should strive to have
such a process in place no later than ICANN 57 in Hyderabad.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on this important matter.

Sincerely,

Jordyn A. Buchanan