ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-gac-safeguard-advice-23apr13]

GAC Advice to ICANN on new gTLD program - IFPI Sweden

  • To: "comments-gac-safeguard-advice-23apr13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-gac-safeguard-advice-23apr13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: GAC Advice to ICANN on new gTLD program - IFPI Sweden
  • From: Magnus Mårtensson <magnus.martensson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 11:34:39 +0200

Dear Sirs,
IFPI Sweden strongly encourages ICANN to accept the main points of the new gTLD
Safeguard Advice from ICANN's Governmental Accountability Committee (GAC).

IFPI Sweden represents the recording industry in Sweden and our members
represent 90% of the total music market in Sweden.

In order for the program to achieve its goals of expanding competition and
enhancing consumer choice, we consider it of great importance that ICANN s
welcome the new gTLD Safeguard Advice. We also strongly commend the GAC's list
of Safeguards Applicable to all New gTLDs because this would reduce the risk
abusive registrations which is very important for us.

Safeguards are very important for gTLDs at higher risk of abuse that harms
consumers or the rights of others. This notably includes applications targeted
at sectors dependent on copyright protection, which have consistently
experienced high levels of online infringement, meaningful steps to anticipate
and manage these risks should be mandatory. Therefore, even if not required for
all new gTLDs, the GAC's six basic safeguards should be mandated for those
listed as "sensitive strings" within the GAC advice.

Yours faithfully

Magnus Martensson
Senior Legal Adviser
IFPI Sweden