ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-info-renewal-03jun13]

Phased Equitable Reallocation of Non-Compliant .INFO Sunrise Domain Names

  • To: <comments-info-renewal-03jun13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Phased Equitable Reallocation of Non-Compliant .INFO Sunrise Domain Names
  • From: "Chris Chaplow" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:29:31 +0200

Sirs,

When one purchases a lottery ticket,  the purchaser will submit to a T&C clause
accepting that the Lottery Company selects the winning number, but  on the
assumption that the winning number is randomly selected and not selected in
order to maximize company earnings.

I wish to express concern at the dubious manner Afilias have implemented RSEP
2008008.

This is the only RSEP that I have followed closely as applicant, It is Request
2008008  “Phased Equitable Reallocation of  Non-Compliant .INFO Sunrise Domain
Names”     <http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registries/rsep?page=4>
http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registries/rsep?page=4

When the Afilias proposal was posted for public comment Michele Neylon
commented:

“One of my concerns with this proposal is that without there being a certain
degree of transparency there is very little to stop the  registry operator from
 putting a lot of the names up for auction directly.”
See  <http://forum.icann.org/lists/info-sunrise-amendment/msg00001.html>
http://forum.icann.org/lists/info-sunrise-amendment/msg00001.html

Unfortunately this comment was ignored by the Board, and was not implemented by
the Staff in the contract, perhaps on the general assumption that Afilias would
act in the public interest and implement an equitable reallocation of names.

This comment turned out to be insightful since only 85 of 1231 names were
allocated under the Phase 1: Request for Proposals (RFP) phase.
Afilias unilaterally discarded the remaining RFP¹s (costing 250€ per
application) in order to gain financial advantage by moving directly into the
Phase 2:   Auction phase in December 2012 to and thus collecting the auction
income.

See:  <http://info.info/sunrise-dispute-reallocation>
http://info.info/sunrise-dispute-reallocation (85 number)
and

<http://info.info/system/files/INFO_sunrise_domain_reallocation_names_4NOV2009.txt>

http://info.info/system/files/INFO_sunrise_domain_reallocation_names_4NOV2009.txt
   (1231 Number)

Of the 85 names that were allocated in April 2011, most are now for resale, do
not resolve or redirect, demonstrating non compliance with the RFP. Afilias
have ignored my request to enforce the terms of their own RFP.  ICANN
compliance advise me “ICANN does not have authority to require Afilias to
enforce this language.”

Afilias have not been transparent and not kept the community informed about the
process.

 <http://info.info/> http://info.info/
Last news update April 2011,
Auctions took place December 2012 through June 2013.

I urge ICANN Board to take the opportunity of the .info  contract renewal to
request a review of the implementation of RSEP 2008008.

Submitted Respectfully,

Chris Chaplow
Managing Director
Andalucia.com S.L.