ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-lgr-second-level-05nov15]

JPRS comments on Guidelines for Developing Reference Label Generation Rulesets (LGRs) for the Second Level

  • To: comments-lgr-second-level-05nov15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: JPRS comments on Guidelines for Developing Reference Label Generation Rulesets (LGRs) for the Second Level
  • From: hotta@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 16:52:41 +0900

Dear ICANN,

Please see the JPRS comments on Guidelines for Developing Reference
Label Generation Rulesets (LGRs) for the Second Level as follows.

Comment#1: If additional Contextual Rules are required by ICANN,
           they must be described clearly

  In our experience as one of new gTLD registries, we were requested
  to add additional Contextual Rules for U+3006 (IDEOGRAPHIC CLOSING
  MARK) and U+30FC (KATAKANA-HIRAGANA PROLONGED SOUND MARK) by PDT
  provider (*).  Those characters are PVALID in IDNA2008 and no
  additional Contextual Rules do not exist in IDN standard.  If ICANN
  requests such Contextual Rules in addition to the standard, they
  must be described clearly in the Guideline.  Otherwise, developed
  reference of LGR will contain different definitions from those
  implemented in PDT.

  (*) U+3006 and U+30FC are classified as "Common" in Unicode's
      Scripts.txt, so they seemed not considered as pure Japanese
      characters.  But those characters are usually used as one of
      the Japanese characters. We don't know the exact background of
      the current Unicode specifications.

Comment#2: Consistency of variants in multiple language LGRs that
           share the same script(s)

  Some of new gTLDs and ccTLDs accept multiple language SLDs.  Such
  gTLDs/ccTLDs provide multiple SLD LGRs - each for one language-
  within one TLD.  As well as RootLGR, if some LGRs share the same
  script(s) and if they have variants, the definition of variants in
  LGRs must be consistent (*).  This consistency requirements of
  variants definition in multiple LGRs in one TLD must be described
  clearly in the Guideline.

  (*) Chinese/Japanese/Korean coordination work for Han script is
      ongoing in RootLGR Project.

Comment#3: Consistency with IDN rules defined for existing TLDs

  We understand that projected SLD LGR won't be specifically targeted
  to ccTLDs and existing gTLDs.  In addition to that, we also
  understand that the the purpose of the SLD LGR definition is to
  facilitate coherent user experience.  Considering these, we hope
  the projected IDN rules to be the same or to incorporate the basics
  of rules for existing gTLDs and ccTLDs as many IDNs have been and
  are already accepted and used globally.

Regards,
Hiro Hotta
Japan Registry Services Co., Ltd.(JPRS)