ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-lgr-second-level-05nov15]

Verisign Comments

  • To: "comments-lgr-second-level-05nov15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-lgr-second-level-05nov15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Verisign Comments
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 23:17:46 +0000

Below are Verisign's comments.

Chuck Gomes

Issue: Guidelines for Developing Reference Label Generation Rulesets (LGRs) for
the Second Level

Date:  15 December 2015

Ref:
https://www.icann.org/public-comments/comments-lgr-second-level-2015-11-05-en

Verisign appreciates the opportunity to comment on the above named issue.  We
agree with the RySG comments that the timing of the proposal may be premature,
that the possible impact on stakeholders has not adequately been determined,
and that it may not be well aligned with the larger goals for the domain
marketplace.
In addition, in furtherance of the RySG's comments that the impact of such
guidelines to affected parties, such as the registrars and registries, needs to
first be understood, we add the following: language changes over time (as the
RySG comments noted), accordingly, we would expect that label generation rules
would also change over time.  Therefore, there is real concern that domain
names registered (and in use) could be subject to label generation rules (and
future iterations of such rules) that would result in domain names being
subject to deletion due to requirements that were not in place at the time of
registration. As a registry operator with over a million IDNs at the second
level, we do not think that it is reasonable to expect registries to market a
product that has the risk of being deleted.