ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-name-collision-05aug13]

Concerns over proposed new gTLD names and name collision

  • To: <comments-name-collision-05aug13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Concerns over proposed new gTLD names and name collision
  • From: Scott Golightly <scott_golightly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:52:50 -0600

I recently read about the proposal to add new gTLDs that might collide with
current intranet names.  I haven't set up any intranets that would be
affected as I tend to use .local for the name. However, it concerns me that
at some point in time in the future this may also be under consideration. It
would make sense to specify some strings that will be reserved and never
used on the open Internet so we can move forward with confidence that some
change in the future won't cause problems. I would also be really interested
in knowing the proposed resolution strategy if one or more people are
actively using a domain name that is now visible on the Internet. How do you
establish who had it first and who has greater rights to use it?

Scott Golightly