ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-policy-implementation-31jan13]

Reply Comments of Intellectual Property Constituency

  • To: "'comments-policy-implementation-31jan13@xxxxxxxxx'" <comments-policy-implementation-31jan13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Reply Comments of Intellectual Property Constituency
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 22:25:13 +0000

      The Intellectual Property Constituency (IPC) offers the following reply
comments concerning the staff discussion paper on "Policy versus Implementation
- Draft Framework."
      1.   We believe the Google comment commendably focuses on the need to
adhere rigorously to sound "Notice and comment" procedures when ICANN considers
imposing new obligations on parties.  These procedures can play an important
role in the "middle terrain" that we identified in our initial comments. Most
of ICANN's critical work makes place in this territory between developing broad
policy formulations and determining narrow implementation steps to meet those
formulations.  We agree that ICANN must do a better job of providing meaningful
opportunities to comment. In particular, it should acknowledge that a 21-day
comment period is an inappropriately short deadline for considering and
commenting on any significant matter, especially when comments are sought from
stakeholder groups or constituencies that themselves consist of scores or
hundreds of companies, associations, or other organizations.  (This position is
shared, at least as to the present comments, by Non-Commercial Stakeholder
Group.)  ICANN also must improve in promptly summarizing and evaluating
comments and in explaining how they have or have not factored into the final
decision.
      2. We continue to think that developing standardized procedures for
"middle terrain" decision-making should be a priority, beginning with a
cataloging of the methods that have been used in the past.  A similar process
could be used to develop a standardized protocol for "Community Implementation
Review Teams", as discussed in the Registry Stakeholder Group comment and
supported by Valideus and Fairwinds. Our initial comment proposes establishing
Standing Implementation Oversight Teams that could help staff properly carry
out implementation over a longer period of time. Whatever they are called and
however they are structured, we believe that implementation teams would be a
useful tool for navigating the "middle terrain," and reiterate our position
that they should consist of subject matter experts as well as informed
community representatives.  The usefulness of independent subject matter
experts in any type of review is also acknowledged by Valideus,

      3.  Approaching this question pragmatically, as we believe it should be
approached, so long as PDP remains a process that takes on average years to
complete (and even longer when the time required for implementation is taken
into account), the threshold for when a PDP should be deemed necessary before
ICANN can act needs to be set quite high.  Standards that equate the imposition
of any obligation on any party with the "policy" threshold, as the Internet
Commerce Association seems to do, and as the Registrar and Registry Stakeholder
Groups also appear to do, are unrealistic.  At the very least, as the Business
Constituency points out, such obligations must be "material" to warrant
consideration as triggering policy concerns.  The current PDP framework should
be reserved for overarching questions which do not require a rapid resolution.
      4.  The comments overwhelmingly focus on the need for better definition
and enumeration of the situations in which a full PDP is deemed necessary, as
well as those for which "notice and comment" or other processes may be
adequate.  IPC agrees, though we also caution the need for flexibility in light
of the rapid and unanticipated changes ICANN must be able to address.
      Respectfully submitted,
      Steve Metalitz, Vice President
      On behalf of the GNSO Intellectual Property Constituency

      .