ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

on WHOIS privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: on WHOIS privacy
  • From: aharpole@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:13:32 -0700 (PDT)

I am writing to express my disappointment and worry that ICANN is considering
limiting WHOIS privacy further.

Existing protections on WHOIS privacy are adequate. If abuse occurs, the domain
owner is reachable.

Unmasking the identity of a domain owner with privacy enabled should be
scrutinized heavily and only used when the situation is appropriate for it.
Ideally this should require a court order.

Removing or further restricting WHOIS privacy damages the principles of a free
and open internet. Doing it to further the agenda of copyright special interest
groups is a disgrace.