ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

WHOIS privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WHOIS privacy
  • From: Derek Fong <fong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:36:11 -0400

To whom it may concern:

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I strongly urge you to reject the proposal that would severely limit domain
registrants from using proxy services to protect their identities from the
wider Internet.

As the father of a young family and small business owner whose address is the
same as that of my primary residence, I have strong motivations for keeping my
contact information and physical address out of the permanent, public record
that is the Internet. I want my privacy to be respected, as I would argue is
the case for all law-abiding Internet users.

Absent a court order, the ability to protect the privacy of WHOIS information
must remain in the hands of the domain registrants.

Thanks,

-f-