ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

WHOIS Data

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WHOIS Data
  • From: Glenn Barker <gdbarker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 14:23:44 -0700

Dear ICANN –

Please protect our privacy. I understand the desire to hold people
accountable for actions on the web, but don't punish those of us who are
just trying to host a website.

There are any number of small businesses, people who work from home, or in
people in general who don't have an alternative to keep their personal
information private. From what I understand this is meant for commercial
sites, but please understand that there are a number of people whose
private information is also their business information.

I completely support the unlocking of whois information with a court order
if needs be, but to forgo all legal processes is major invasion of privacy.
People should be able to choose if they want to share their private
information publicly or not.

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.

- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.