ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy concerns

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy concerns
  • From: Nissa Campbell <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:03:24 -0700

Dear ICANN –

I am concerned about the proposed rules governing companies that provide
WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services
Accreditation Issues Policy document).

As a woman who speaks publicly on the internet, I am subjected to regular
online harassment. This is an issue for women everywhere. WHOIS privacy
gives me the peace of mind that should me harassers try to track down my
physical location (a common harassment tactic), that they'll have a harder
time doing so.

Since I run a small, freelance business from home, these rules may expose
my home address to people who've threatened me with harm, putting me and my
family at risk. I am far from the only person in this situation. It's such
a major issue that John Oliver and HBO recently covered the problem for
Last Week Tonight. For a more safe for work take on the issue, here's
coverage from Time Magazine:
http://time.com/3305466/male-female-harassment-online/

I know these regulations aren't intended to put people like me at risk, but
they will. Please consider that when making your decision.

Thank you,

Nissa Campbell
Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
V3C 3K3