ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

iCANN: Respect my privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: iCANN: Respect my privacy
  • From: James Armitage <jameslarmitage@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 12:48:39 +0930

Dear ICANN

I am writing regarding the proposed changes to WHOIS privacy rules. The
current rules allow companies to mask the personal information of domain
name holders. As I understand the changes will not allow such masking for
any domains used in commercial situations.

As a small business owner this will have serious consequences for myself
and millions of others like myself. The ability to protect my personal home
address is a vital security feature. Forcing this into the public domain
will undoubtedly have adverse effects for some small business owners,
including malicious behaviour from disgruntled clients. My security could
be compromised if my personal information is made public.

Furthermore I have the right to privacy. It is a fundamental right that
information I consider to be private and personal remains that way. Forcing
my information into the public domain is, to say the least, a very heavy
handed violation of this right.

For my privacy and security, and that of the many others like me, the WHOIS
privacy rules should not be changed.

Regards,

James