ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Don't expose private WHOIS data. Some lives may very well depend on it!

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Don't expose private WHOIS data. Some lives may very well depend on it!
  • From: Brian Richards <brian@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 23:26:14 -0400

Dear ICANN,

I've just heard of the motion to eliminate private WHOIS records (set forth
in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document)
and I find that extremely disconcerting.

While I know that I and the vast majority of website owners have "nothing
to hide and nothing to fear" with regards to publishing our contact
information with our domain registration, the fact is that this DOES pose a
very real and serious threat to free speech in general.

It makes things far more difficult from those who already DO have something
to hide (e.g. relocated persons, victims of domestic abuse, etc) or WILL
have something to hide (e.g. people who uncover and wish to report upon
incriminating facts against corporations, governments, and other agencies).
There exists a very real possibility that this requirement may literally
cost someone their life.

On the far less severe end of the spectrum, let's not forget how this
change will enable a fresh onslaught of unsolicited offers and
intentionally misleading solicitations (e.g. legitimate sounding but
entirely fabricated invoices). This isn't merely an inconvenience to
website owners, it is actively enabling an entirely seedy and underhanded
business model to exist and succeed.

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
Everyone deserves the right to privacy. No one’s personal information
should be revealed without a court order, regardless of whether the request
comes from a private individual or law enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Grace and Peace,
Brian Richards