ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Removal of Private Domain Registration

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Removal of Private Domain Registration
  • From: Andy Melichar <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 20:57:12 -0400

I am the Business Development Director for a large hosting company, and I
feel very strongly that prohibiting private / proxy registrations is a
terrible idea.

Proxy registrations shield the vulnerable - those who have an unpopular
opinion, those who are at-risk due to the information they publish - those
who are starting a new venture and risk being fired by the current employer
- the examples go on and on.

We deserve privacy. We deserve respect. There is already methodology for
contacting people who have their domains registered through private domain
registries. Don't fix the problem by creating a much larger problem. Fix
the problem by changing the method/requirements for gaining contact
information from proxies.

-Andrew Melichar
Detroit, MI