ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

domain registry privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: domain registry privacy
  • From: Lady Rowan <thelady@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 12:24:28 -0400

The question of whether or not Domain registration information should be
kept private or made public is really a question of values and priorities.

Keeping the information private benefits individuals. Individuals have a
right to privacy and due process.

Revealing the information may mean more profit for some corporations.

*What is more important? What have people around the world been fighting
for generations to define and protect: human rights OR the ability of a
company to make more money?*

I've read some of the statements by corporations who want to strip away
existing privacy protections. Some of it is total nonsense and runs counter
to existing business practices that I'm sure they support. One of these is
"consumers should know who they are doing business with on the internet."

Tell me, when you buy anything from a brick and mortar store, do you really
know who you are doing business with? Is the name and home address and
phone number of the owner posted someplace? No? And yet somehow
civilization and commerce stumble on....

*Please don't give away my privacy, your privacy and the privacy of our
kids and grandkids to give some companies a chance to increase their
profits.*
*R*