ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

We domain owners need our privacy for our own protection

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: We domain owners need our privacy for our own protection
  • From: Sorgfelt <sorgfelt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 21:57:09 -0400

I had a domain which was associated with an online presence that tried to
expose political lies and debate on social and intelligence issues with people
who wanted to know where I lived. Because I had registered my domain according
to the rules, I realized that those people could track me down and endanger my
family and both my and my spouse's jobs, which were politically sensitive.
Given the danger, I cancelled my ownership of the domain, upon which it was
almost immediately taken over by Chinese criminals who have used it for spam
and the spread of malware and have not properly registered it. This is an
example of why we need privacy protections, to protect our right to free speech
and the safety of our families. If you force people to register in their own
names and not through proxies, you force people to expose themselves to
criminal elements, and subsequently force them to try to spread their ideas
through some medium other than the Internet, or give up the idea of freedom at
all.

U.S. Citizen, so-called "Land of the Free"