ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Comment on Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comment on Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document
  • From: "Richard G. Parks" <generalmail@xxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 15:21:46 -0400 (EDT)

ATTENTION ICANN:

I am sending this email regarding ICANN's proposed rules governing companies
that provide WHOIS privacy services as set forth in the Privacy and Policy
Services Accreditation Issues Policy document.

I DEMAND that you to respect Internet users' rights to privacy and due process
and abandon your ill-advised attempt to expose web user's personal and private
information. It is bad enough that the United States Government is violating
international norms of privacy without ICANN getting into that business as
well.

The right to privacy is recognized by all legitimate governments and enshrined
in both national and international law. The only people who ignore privacy
rights are criminals, rogue nations, jack-booted thugs and dictators. In an age
where bad actors are running wild and stealing identities all over the web, I
am appalled that ICANN would even consider exposing domain name holders to this
malicious activity by adopting rules banning private WHOIS information
protection services. These rule changes will lead to even more of this criminal
activity and ICANN will be siding with those on the wrong side of history.

Personal, private information should absolutely NOT be revealed without a court
order, regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency. Domain name holders have the right to confront accusations
and demands for such information and defend themselves in a court of law.

If ICANN persists in adopting unilateral rules that compromise user's rights to
privacy, the organization can expect a vigorous backlash and well-deserved
litigation from users who are damaged by these new rules. I am raising my voice
against these proposed rule changes and I'm sure that you will hear the same
thing from many others who view the rising tide of Internet privacy violations
with great alarm.

Richard G. Parks
generalmail@xxxxx