ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Domain privacy restriction objections

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Domain privacy restriction objections
  • From: Steve Armstrong <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 23:09:03 -0700

Hello,

This is regarding section 1.3.3 of
http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/raa/ppsai-initial-05may15-en.pdf on
restricting P/P use on domains that engage in commercial behavior. I
disagree with blocking "commercial" domains from using P/P services in
their WHOIS information.

- Public disclosure of addresses are not required for commerce. People
selling things on E-Bay are not required to post their name and address in
a publicly accessible database (or any other example of successful commerce
on the internet), so why would someone operating a domain be required to do
that?
- People who run domains should be contactable. I run 4 domains. The WHOIS
info is completely valid, working info for a proxy. Correspondance sent to
that proxy will reach me, so I'm still contactable.
- Anyone with a legitimate requirement for my address should be able to get
it. We have courts to determine if the requirement is "legitimate". This
would result in a court order, which would compel my proxy to disclose my
information.

I don't understand what specific use case is not possible under current
regulations, and the cost of this change is huge. How would a small
organization speak out against stalkers, or domestic abuse, be able to
operate a domain, if they must post their address publicly in order to do
it? Websites looking to serve as a knowledge base on how to get help might
have commercial services and could be classified as "commercial", and then
require them to post their address publicly.

The potential for abuse is relatively clear, and there's no clear benefit
or problem this change is trying to solve. Please vote against it.

Steve Armstrong