ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Aleks <am@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 11:17:14 +0200

Hello,

since english isn’t my native langauge, i’ll do my best to share this:

I think it’s an essential right to keep peoples privacy, online and offline,
safe. People online deserve a right to safe their identity from strangers.
Unless someone is doing something illegal, there’s no need to reveal peoples
private data (in this case the WHOIS data).

People publish a lot of things online, and while it’s no problem for most
people, there’re groups of people, especially minorities, that profit from good
privacy. The internet is a space for people to share their thoughts and passion
without revealing their identify. Sharing thoughts, could also lead to other
problems like harrasment, stalking and a few other bad things from people that
think differently. Just remember the whole Gamergate debacle.

To keep the internet safe for everyone, ICANN should not reveal users WHOIS
data. As i said, this is especially dangerous for minorities that do nothing
wrong/illegal but have to fear other conflicts with people finding out their
addresses.

I’m not against revealing domain owners privacy in case of any lawsuit. If a
law enforcement agency need domain owners private data, it’s absolutely OK for
ICANN to hand over the data. But this should not mean that EVERYONE has a right
to see WHOIS owning the domain.

I hope you keep those problems in mind, and try to keep domain owners data safe.