ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Domain privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Domain privacy
  • From: "Danielle Gaither" <dcgaither@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 09:50:53 -0700 (PDT)

WHOIS privacy is critical for small site owners like myself. I am not currently
in a position to have a dedicated work address. If WHOIS privacy is gutted,
then I would be forced to put my home address and phone number on public
display, which I am not comfortable doing. I am sure this is even more true for
sites where confidentiality is important.

As things currently are, domain registrars have legitimate contact information
for site owners, so it’s not like they can’t ultimately be contacted. Having
that extra layer in place makes me feel more comfortable registering domains
than would be the case if WHOIS privacy were not available.

Thanks,
Danielle Gaither
Denton, TX

—