ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Whois Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Whois Privacy
  • From: Sarah Brown <fraggo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 21:15:14 -0400

Dear ICANN –

I run a number of sites that allow me to earn a full-time living online. I
help and instruct others on how to succeed online (for free).
Unfortunately, despite my generosity, I have been stalked, harassed, and
have had the content of my sites stolen. I have turned to using private
WHOIS data to prevent unscrupulous internet users from finding my sites,
home address, and phone number. Removing this privacy will only serve to
put my home, life, and loved ones' lives and safety in danger.

I implore you to think through the consequences of removing our private
WHOIS information. It serves as a buffer to protect us from the crazy
people in this world. We are living in unsafe times, where jealousy and
greed overtake compassion and ethics. By stripping us of our private data,
you are exposing us to the dangers of internet stalkers and you are putting
our homes, lives, and loved ones in harm's way.

This is not as simple as commercial sites vs non-commercial sites. We are
real people, with real lives, who can end up in real danger with our
information in the wrong hands.

Thank you,
Sarah Brown