ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Ryan R. Sample Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Ryan R. Sample Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: "Ryan R. Sample" <ryanbd19@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 15:29:55 -0500

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document):

I STRONGLY urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order, regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law enforcement agency.

I myself have been consistently victimized by so-called 'internet trolls' who use the information in a public WHOIS record to obtain contact information and use it to harrass people. Only now that I have WHOIS protection, and have made those details private, has this problem largely been mitigated.

This information is also readily available to identity thieves looking for bits and pieces of information to take over someone else's identity. Forcing this information to go public would be an absolute atrocity - a virtual treasure trove of sensitive information would suddenly be public for a vast number of domain holders!

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Ryan R. Sample
Concerned domain holder