ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Jonathan van Clute Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Jonathan van Clute Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Jonathan van Clute <vanclute@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 07:47:06 -0700

Dear ICANN –

I own many domains as a part of my portfolio, and those domains are routinely
harvested for their contact information.  My family and I receive endless
volumes of physical and digital spam & scams, as well as a constant stream of
phone calls that have clearly come from contact registration information.
Privacy protection is the only way to protect against these potentially
dangerous intrusions (would you want some scammer knowing your home address and
telephone number?  I don't think so!)

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Jonathan van Clute