ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Christian Nielsen Says Respect Our Privacy, but allow more transparency

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Christian Nielsen Says Respect Our Privacy, but allow more transparency
  • From: Chris Nielsen <christian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 16:02:02 -0500

Dear ICANN –

*Regarding the proposed rules* governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document):

*While I enjoy private WHOIS services, they should NOT be used to avoid complaints and investigations.* The information should be private to those doing casual searches on the web, but if someone contacts a registrar, the information should be provided without undue delay and at no cost to anyone who requests it. But the information of those making the request should be confirmed and made available to the WHOIS user who's information is being requested. There needs to be more transparency on the web and not less.

*Private information should be kept **/mostly/**private.* Private information of scammers, spammers, and abusers should be available upon demand by anyone that requests it, and the requester information should be verified and provided to the WHOIS customer.

*Please note that some providers of private WHOIS services* may make a push to keep WHOIS privacy as it is currently, but the source of those campaigns should be noted and discounted. Their motivation is not privacy, but profit since they offer a paid service that may be discontinued if the laws are changed. Please make it harder for criminals and abusers to hide. Those that are honest can find other ways to protect themselves if they feel they need to.

*I would like to see all providers of WHOIS information offer email forwarding to whois customers at no cost.* This would allow spammers to be identified and abused email addresses changed in the whois records.

--
Thank you,
Chris Nielsen