ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

About domain name privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: About domain name privacy
  • From: Jason Ryan <dellmayoro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:54:05 -0700

Hello,

I used to own a website where I occasionally wrote about "hot topics" that
the society faced. At that time, I was not using a domain privacy service
because I was not aware of its existence. After a while, I started
receiving harassment emails and phone calls, and at some point even a
letter to my physical mail box from so called "online trolls". They had
access to my phone number and physical location. I was forced to shut down
my website/blog and change my phone number. The mailbox harassment
continued for a while afterwards, but eventually people behind it gave up
by seeing that I was "offline".
A year later I registered another website with a different domain name to
continue to express my opinion about the "hot topics". I even have a
comment section where hundreds of users can join the discussion. We discuss
things related to human rights, gaming world issues, movies and other
non-harmful topics. We don't break any law, we don't harass anyone and no
one harasses me, because this time I used a domain registration proxy to
mask my real identity. This allows me, a law abiding citizen with no
registered business, to operate a small website with couple of ads that
barely pay the costs associated with hosting services and domain
registration.

Please do not take this privacy away from us!

If the copyright property owner or the law enforcement needs to know the
person's true identity, then it should be done through a proper court
procedure and they should issue subpoena to the proxy provider to reveal
the true identify. There is no reason why you should make everyone's
private information to be accessible to public. We are not criminals. We
don't deserve to be treated the same way as criminals. By taking away our
ability to mask our sensitive information from online "trolls" and
malicious actors (spammers, murderers, hackers etc) you are essentially
destroying the internet and the trust that internet users have put on your
organization. One thing that makes you who you are is the trust that the
world has placed on you.

Please do not ruin the internet and your own reputation.

Thank You.