ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Rasoyna Pearce Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN - Rasoyna Pearce Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: "R. Pearce" <ffyrebird@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 16:48:34 -0500

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

You should realize many people on the Internet choose privacy for safety
reasons.  Many web entrepreneurs and bloggers are women operating a small
business from their home.  Releasing their private information can and will
open them up to potentially dangerous situations.  Someone who disagrees with
their views, dislikes their product, is a competitor, etc will now have the
information to threaten them, their family and residence.  Releasing this
private information will open the floodgates for threatening, stalking, and
terrorizing vulnerable women.  It will have a chilling effect on women-owned
small businesses and blogs on the Internet.
Protect women, keep our private information private.
Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

PS:  Many people over share on the Internet relying on their privacy settings
to keep them safe.  Many bloggers and mommy businesses on the Internet post on
their blogs when they will be away for vacation.  If you release their Whois
private information you are forcing them to broadcast their address to all
leaving the residence of home based businesses and blogs vulnerable to
criminals.
Keep us and our homes safe, keep our private information private.

Rasoyna Pearce