ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Domain Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Domain Privacy
  • From: Andrew Wooster <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 16:21:19 -0700

To who it may concern,

I’m disturbed by the proposal to remove proxy services for domain registration:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/06/changes-domain-name-rules-place-user-privacy-jeopardy

<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/06/changes-domain-name-rules-place-user-privacy-jeopardy>

We need more mechanisms around protecting personal information, if people
desire it, not fewer. In the past, WHOIS information has been used to send me
junk mail, been mined by telephone scammers seeking to scam me personally via
phone calls, domain registration scammers, etc. In addition, my companies have
been repeatedly harassed by commercial vendors and scammers — simply because of
ICANN’s failures to adequately restrict this information.

Proxy registrations have dramatically improved the situation.

Additionally, removing that capability would put at-risk communities at even
more risk of harassment. In an age of SWATting, public threats against
individuals by radical extremists, and other threats, a backwards move like
this seems poorly thought out.

-Andrew Wooster