ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Whois Privacy

  • To: <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Whois Privacy
  • From: Alec Perkins <alecperkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 08:23:49 -0700 (PDT)

  Every time I register a domain without privacy, I get inundated with spam
messages to my email, phone, and even physical mail to my residence
masquerading as hosting bills. Every time. Fortunately, that is the worst I
have personally experienced. However, I have seen the kinds of threats and
intimidation people can face simply for speaking their mind or asserting their
right to exist. Many times, they can only do this because of the safety
afforded by anonymity. Removing this protection will endanger such voices.

— Alec Perkins