ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Respect Our Privacy

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN - Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Amy Powell <amystraff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 21:47:38 -0400

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

I am a female. I was playing World of Warcraft. My guild leader, a person I
didn't personally know outside of the game, apparently fell in love with me.
Used what little information he knew about me to find my identity online
outside of the game. After he found my identity, illegally used his Walgreens
employment to look me up in their system to find my place of employment, phone
number and home address. He was so impressed and proud of himself, he gave me
all the information he found on me and explained how he found it. This happened
a few years back, and I was too scared to contact authorities or even Walgreens
to tell them any of this.

Please keep private information kept private. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad