ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

WHOIS Privacy & Proxy Services

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WHOIS Privacy & Proxy Services
  • From: Joseph Robarts <gijobarts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 08:34:59 -0700

I own a domain which I hope to use to sell surreal landscape photography. I
won't be selling as part of a big business, so I had to register it with my
home address, and used a privacy service. I don't want my home address to
be public, and I don't want my direct email address to be harvested by
spammers.

If there's probable cause to suspect criminal activity by a domain
registrant, a court can order the release of personal information. Anyone
who isn't suspected of a crime should be able to keep their information
private.

Privacy/proxy services should not be required to disclose personal
information unless a court orders them to do so. I believe this should also
apply to organizations, especially small businesses, as the owners often
run them from their homes.

The purpose for requiring contact information in registrations is to ensure
that domain holders can be reached if there's an issue and domain holders
can be identified for legal action. Current privacy/proxy services already
provide for that.