ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN, please respect user privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN, please respect user privacy
  • From: Quinn Stephens <quinn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 13:57:39 -0500

Dear ICANN –

I'm writing in regards to the proposed rules governing companies that
provide WHOIS privacy services, as set forth in the Privacy and Policy
Services Accreditation Issues Policy document.

I'm deeply concerned about the plans to expose all users' contact
information. This is a violation of our privacy and could place many of us
in danger. It is increasingly common on the Internet for people of ill
intent to seek out phone numbers and addresses of strangers whom they wish
to harass or even physically harm. These new rules could make this process
much easier for them.

No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

We all have a right to privacy and I hope that ICANN will continue to
respect that. Thank you.