ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Reply to "Public Domain Registration Information" by J. Packer

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Reply to "Public Domain Registration Information" by J. Packer
  • From: Frederick Gosse <fredgosse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 19:39:22 GMT

Hello,

This is a response to the comment submitted by a J. Packer which can be found
at http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-ppsai-initial-05may15/msg11295.html

Mr. Pakcer writes:
>There is no need to have domain registrations "private". Too
>many times individuals use that to "hide" their identity to
>use domain sites for fraudulent reasons. Let's not give them
>any help!

Perhaps Mr. Packer personally doesn't have a need for private domain
registrations, but that does not mean all other people on this planet should go
without domain privacy.

His claim that "too many individuals" use private domain registrations for
"fraudulent reasons" begs the question "What is too many?". Mr. Packers tries
to give the impression that a significant part of all private domain
registrations were initiated by criminals. However, only a tiny part of all
domain registrations, private or public, were initiated by criminals. If the
majority or an otherwise significant part of all private registrations were
criminal in nature, privacy providers and Registrars would have long ago ceased
to offer these services. It would simply not be profitable for privacy
providers and registrars to offer private registrations if that meant they'd
get flooded with complaints about criminals activities. The fact that privacy
providers and registrars CAN and are willing to offer private domain
registrations is proof that the abuse or the degree of abuse that Mr. Packers
tries to insinuate simply does not exist.

Also, no one is asking Mr. Packer or even ICANN for help. We are simply asking
to be left alone. We already have a solution for the Whois problem. We simply
ask that you do not sabotage our solution.

Mr. Packer continues:
>It was only when registrars saw an "opportunity" to gain
>additional revenue (as they charge for privacy, which should
>tell you right away it is not a "right") for this "privacy"
>service.

Mr. Packer is forgetting that registrars don't force their users to buy privacy
services. Those registrars are responding to an existing demand. Their users
are aware of the dangers related to public domain registrations and those users
are willing to pay for a way to protect themselves from those dangers.

Mr. Packer further claims that we see "less fraud being committed using a .us
domain" because the .us Registry doesn't allow private registrations. What Mr.
Packer doesn't mention is that there are merely 1,717,586 .us domains
registered compared to 5,119,332 .info domains, 14,856,120 .net domains and
117,656,681 .com domains. Of course the number of fraud cases connected to a
.us domain will be smaller because the total number of .us registrations is
also smaller. Mr. Packer also doesn't take into account other factor such as
price.

Mr. Packers comments don't make any sense at all. On the one hand he sees a
need for privacy as he did not use his full name. On the other hand he
unsuccessfully tries to equate a need for privacy with a desire to commit
criminal acts. On the one hand he recommends that individuals who want privacy
go rent a P/O box. On the other hand he fails to see that the privacy service
provided by registrars is simply a modernized version of the P/O box.

Please disregards MR. Packers comments and please do not sabotage our domain
privacy.

Regards,
Fred