ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-proposed-epsrp-guidelines-20jul16]

Comment from Verisign, Inc.

  • To: "comments-proposed-epsrp-guidelines-20jul16@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-proposed-epsrp-guidelines-20jul16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment from Verisign, Inc.
  • From: "McAuley, David" <dmcauley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 22:38:28 +0000

Verisign acknowledges and compliments the EPSRP Working Group for the effort
undertaken to develop further policy guidance for the Extended Process
Similarity Review Panel relating to the IDN ccTLD Fast Track process, and we
thank the Working Group for this opportunity to comment on the results of its
deliberations. We offer the following comment:

IDNs are an important development in ensuring broad, global access to the
Internet. Every effort should be made to ensure that they are appropriately
treated so that they may fulfill their promise in a manner that preserves the
security, stability, and resilience of the Internet and the DNS. Such
appropriate treatment would include, among other things, having due regard for
RFC 6912.

We trust that the proposed guidelines and refinements being commented upon in
this instance will aid in the string similarity review process that they will
serve. But we also observe that in this and other processes IDN TLDs should be
handled equivalently whether the string applied for is a new gTLD or a ccTLD,
excepting only those facets of the process that relate to ccTLD strings
strictly because and to the extent of their country-code nature.

David McAuley

David McAuley
International Policy Manager
Verisign Inc.