ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-proposed-measures-two-char-08jul16]

Comment on Proposed Measures for Letter/Letter Two-Character ASCII Labels to Avoid Confusion with Corresponding Country Codes

  • To: "comments-proposed-measures-two-char-08jul16@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-proposed-measures-two-char-08jul16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment on Proposed Measures for Letter/Letter Two-Character ASCII Labels to Avoid Confusion with Corresponding Country Codes
  • From: "Ser Pheng QUEH (IDA)" <QUEH_Ser_Pheng@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 03:24:14 +0000

Dear ICANN Staff,

We hereby respectfully submit our comments on the proposed measures to avoid
public confusion with corresponding country codes. We are still unable to agree
to the release of the two-character label "sg" at the second-level under gTLDs
due to the following concerns.

We do not agree with the Exclusive Availability Pre-Registration Period as a
measure to prevent confusion and possible misuse of names. It would be a
resource-intensive approach and create unnecessary burden on governments. The
proposed measure is also silent on whether names would be made available to
governments at a fee or no charge. If governments have to pay fees for the
protection of their names, such use of public monies would not be justified.
Also, brand TLDs are exempted from the implementation of this proposed measure
which means that country-codes would be automatically released in such TLDs. We
would still want to be able to retain the first-right of refusal in such TLDs.

We do not have any objections to allow the use of our country-code in new gTLDs
at the  second-level, so long as there is effective recourse in incidents of
abuse. However, the proposed measures do not seem to address our concerns.

The Post-Registration Complaint Investigation measure calls for Registry
Operators to take steps according to the requirements for handling reports
pertaining to illegal conduct, which is set forth in Section 2.8 of the
Registry Agreement. However, Section 2.8 relates specifically to the
"protection of legal rights of third parties". We are unable to see how it
could be utilised for our purposes if we wish to lodge a complaint against any
inappropriate content or manner of use of the domain name which may not be
illegal, but unacceptable according to our country's standards, culture and
norms. This measure is also inadequate in that it only requires the RO to
investigate and respond to complaints. The sole discretion to investigate and
respond lies with Registry Operators. We propose that ICANN or an independent
party such as an arbitration/mediation panel look into such case if all means
to resolve the complaints with Registry Operators have been exhausted.

Lastly, we wish to also reiterate that ICANN must be committed to step in and
take actions against a Registry Operator if the Registry Operator fails to work
with or comply with a governments' requests. While a government would take
appropriate measures to engage with a Registry Operator on the resolution of
situations involving inappropriate use of domain names, in the event that the
RO does not or refuses to work with the government, ICANN must be committed to
step in to remedy the situation (e.g. by revoking/deleting/removing the name.)

Best Regards,
Ser Pheng QUEH (Mr)
Deputy Director, Internet Resource Management
Policy and Competition Development Group
Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA)
D: (+65) 6211 0173 | F: (+65) 6659 2532 | E:
queh_ser_pheng@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:queh_ser_pheng@xxxxxxxxxx> | W:
www.ida.gov.sg<http://www.sgnic.sg/>
10 Pasir Panjang Road, #10-01, Mapletree Business City, Singapore 117438

[https://www.ida.gov.sg/~/media/Images/Archive/templates/General/signature/idaLogo.jpg]<http://www.ida.gov.sg/>
  Follow us on:
[https://www.ida.gov.sg/~/media/Images/Archive/templates/General/signature/fb.jpg]
 <http://www.facebook.com/IDA.Singapore>
[https://www.ida.gov.sg/~/media/Images/Archive/templates/General/signature/twitter.jpg]
 <http://twitter.com/IDAsg>
[https://www.ida.gov.sg/~/media/Images/Archive/templates/General/signature/youtube.jpg]
 <http://www.youtube.com/idasingapore>
[https://www.ida.gov.sg/~/media/Images/Archive/templates/General/signature/linkedin.jpg]
 <https://www.linkedin.com/company/ida-singapore>     Subscribe to:
[https://www.ida.gov.sg/~/media/Images/Archive/templates/General/signature/technews.jpg]
[https://www.ida.gov.sg/~/media/Images/Archive/templates/General/signature/bottomline.jpg]
NOTICE: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential or
legally privileged information. Any unauthorised use, retention, reproduction
or disclosure is prohibited and may attract civil and criminal penalties. If
this e-mail has been sent to you in error, please delete it and notify us
immediately. Please consider the environment before you print this email.

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image