ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-proposed-measures-two-char-08jul16]

COMMENT FROM CHINA

  • To: comments-proposed-measures-two-char-08jul16@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: COMMENT FROM CHINA
  • From: "GAC Rep. of CHINA" <gac_china@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 15:25:23 +0800 (GMT+08:00)

COMMENT FROM CHINA

The Proposed Measures for Letter/Letter Two-Character ASCII Labels to Avoid
Confusion with Corresponding Country Codes was put up for public comments dated
July 8, 2016.

We had previously stated in several occasions within ICANN that with regards to
releasing country codes and names as the second level under gTLDs, we had the
same problem as some governments had already pointed out that it may create
confusion. And we need further study on the pros and cons accordingly.

When it comes to releasing the Chinese two-letter country code at the second
level, we think the proposed measures cannot fully deal with the concern. It is
recommended that ICANN develop a table/list to identify the position of each
country/economy in regard to releasing corresponding two-letter
territory/country code at the second level. With that, it will reduce
tremendously the communication burden between registry operators and
governments (or ccTLD managers) on this issue.

At present stage, we would ask ICANN not to proceed with releasing Chinese
country codes (including “cn”) and names at the second level under all gTLDs.

PEI Wei

GAC representative of CHINA