ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-rdds-output-03dec15]

Public discussion on Draft Thick RDDS (Whois) Consensus Policy

  • To: comments-rdds-output-03dec15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Public discussion on Draft Thick RDDS (Whois) Consensus Policy
  • From: Antoin Verschuren <dns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 21:29:48 +0100

Dear ICANN,

It has come to my attention after discussion on ICANN’s gtld-tech mailinglist
that there is no consensus in the community for a need for a "Registrar
Registration Expiration Date” as a solution to prevent confusion on public RDDS
(whois) data. It is even felt that adding a Registrar Registration Expiration
Date to a registry whois system may even add confusion, and therefor should not
be included or migrated. A Registrar Registration Expiration Date is
registrar-registrant bilateral contract information that should not be
maintained in a registry whois database the same as a registrants credit card
expiry date does not belong in the registry RDDS data.

As one of the contributors on the mailinglist stated:
"As a member of the PDP working group that produced this recommendation, I can
say that it was not our intent to create a new requirement to add an additional
field to the Registry Whois output for Registrar expiration date, nor do I
think that is what is called for in the Policy."

Following the discussion, I believe that the Draft Thick RDDS (Whois) Consensus
Policy does not follow the intent of the recommendations made in the Thick
Whois PDP Final Report on this point, and ICANN should reconsider the need for
a Registrar Registration Expiration Date and all the extra work needed to
migrate, populate and maintain this data.

I would advise ICANN to include the thread on the gtld-tech mailinglist to this
comment which starts here:
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gtld-tech/2016-January/000605.html
It would be inefficient for me to summarize the numerous arguments made, and
more arguments are still added to the thread.

I hope that this will prevent the extra work on the Thick RDDS migration and
maintenance that does not seem to have any result on the intent to clarify
expiry dates.

Yours sincerely,

- --
Antoin Verschuren