ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-root-zone-consultation-08mar13]

Roll the KSK early and often

  • To: comments-root-zone-consultation-08mar13@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Roll the KSK early and often
  • From: Steve Crocker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 18:20:46 -0400

ICANN and Verisign have done a stellar job signing the root and publishing the
signed zone.  The key ceremony was designed and executed with incredible vision
and attention to detail.  Many TLD operators responded quickly by signing their
zones too, and we now have broad implementation of DNSSEC at the top level of
the DNS hierarchy.

The one area that remains incomplete is the key rollover process.  Standard
practice in all cryptographic systems is regular change of the keys.  DNSSEC is
no exception, and the protocol and operating practices were designed to include
changes to the keys in every zone, including the root zone.  In addition to
changing keys every so often to avoid having the same key in use long enough to
become vulnerable, there are two other reasons to change keys.  First, the
recommended size of keys changes over time as computing power becomes more
easily available or better cracking algorithms become known.  Second,
algorithms tend to have a lifetime, and thus it's necessary to change
algorithms occasionally.  Over the last few decades we have seen a relatively
rapid evolution in hash algorithms from MD4 to MD5 to SHA-1 to SHA-2.  We are
also in the midst of a transition from RSA as the principal asymmetric
signature algorithm to various forms of elliptic curve cryptography functions.
For all of these reasons, changes in keys are necessary.

For changes in keys below the very top of the hierarchy, the protocol provides
a direct way for the child zone to inform the parent zone of its new key, and
to do so in a way that carefully stages the transition so validating resolvers
always see a properly signed zone.  We have seen many key rollovers below the
root.  Most of them have worked well, but some of them have not.  Individual
operators and the community as a whole are still working out the precise
details of how to effect key rollovers smoothly.  Most of the issues have
involved a dependence on manual processes and a lack of precision in the
execution of the necessary sequence of steps.  The community is rapidly
learning how to do key rollovers more smoothly and tools are evolving to carry
out this process with less human intervention.

Against this backdrop of active learning and improvement in key management and
key rollover below the top of the hierarchy we have the peculiar lack of any
activity related to changing the top level key or root key.

The root key, known more precisely as the Root's Key Signing Key (KSK), plays a
special role.  It is this key, or really the public part of the Root's KSK,
that has to be known to every validating resolver around the world.  An
enormous number of devices now hold the Root's KSK and are enabled to validate
signed DNS answers.  And to facilitate regular changes to the root key, the
DNSSEC protocol includes a process, documented in RFC 5011, for propagating a
new root key from time to time.  This process has not been tested yet, and the
community is now being asked for comments in preparation for the first test.
My first comment is this test should have been carried out much earlier,
preferably not long after the root was first signed.  Key rollover is an
integral part of the overall system, and to leave it untested is very odd,
perhaps akin to not testing whether the landing gear on an airplane will work.
There's no question the key has to be changed, and when it is eventually
changed, the process had better work.

Rolling the top level key will demand attention and care from the operators at
Verisign and ICANN.  They've already demonstrated great competence and careful
execution, so we all expect their part of the process will be flawless.
However, they are only a very small part of the overall system.  The very large
number of validating resolvers are the other part of the system.  In order for
key rollover to work correctly, all of these validating resolvers will have to
execute their part of the rollover process correctly.  As noted, this has not
yet been tested.  Is their software implemented correctly?  Are the
configuration parameters set correctly?  Is each of them operated in a mode
that will accept the signals to change the key?  We certainly hope so, but hope
is not the preferred form of assurance.  The process must be tested.  And not
just once, but repeatedly until it's clear the bugs have been wrung out of the
system.

So, the way forward is to roll the key not once but at least a few times.  This
my second comment: Do it more than once.  Leave enough time between key
rollovers to learn whatever lessons have to learned and to make the necessary
adjustments, but do it again quickly enough to put the learning to use.  My
intuition suggests scheduling a handful of key rollovers at three month
intervals, and then settling down to a regular rhythm of rolling the key every
two years.  I mention these specific intervals to make the advice concrete and
vivid, but I am less concerned about the specific numbers than the principles
involved.  Until we have strong evidence that the devices and systems that are
using the root key are actually able to go through the rollover process without
problems, we need to keep stressing the process and helping the entire
community focus attention on the rollover process.  If we do less than that, we
might as well be flying in a plane without confidence it can lower its wheels
when it approaches an airport.

Steve Crocker

P.S. This issue was discussed at the Signed Root Symposium in June 2009, a
little more than a year before the root was signed.  Principals from Verisign,
ICANN and NTIA were all in attendance.  The report from that symposium was
drafted but not completed at the time.  The draft is now being posted to
provide a record of that discussion almost four years ago.  I will send the
pointer to it when it's up.