ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-two-char-new-gtld-08jul14]

Two-Character Domain Names

  • To: comments-two-char-new-gtld-08jul14@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Two-Character Domain Names
  • From: "Annebeth B. Lange" <annebeth.lange@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 10:04:17 +0200

Dear Sir,

It took many years to reach as much consensus as possible for the Applicant
Guidebook. Our opinion is that it should remain as it was decided during this
application period and not starting making alternations now.

As for opening up for two-character domain names, they should stay blocked and
reserved, at least until a thorough discussion has been taking place. They have
traditionally been reserved for countries. In our changing world new countries
are established now and again, the most sensible thing to do at this stage is
to prohibit all tow-letter names, not only those in the ISO 3166.

Annebeth B. Lange
Head of Legal and Policy
UNINETT Norid AS
P.O. BOX 6878 ST. Olavs plass