ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-whois-ars-pilot-23dec14]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Re: An Additional Month to Respond

  • To: Kathy Kleiman <kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Margie Milam <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: An Additional Month to Respond
  • From: David Olive <david.olive@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 21:24:43 +0000

Thank you Kathy.

I am passing your request to Margie Milam, the staff lead on this review.

Regards.   David

David A. Olive
Sent from my iPad

On Feb 24, 2015, at 11:09 PM, Kathy Kleiman
<kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

A personal comment and request.

For those of us who attended the ICANN Meeting in Singapore, one of the biggest
surprises was the seemingly endless number of sessions on Whois.  Often in the
past, we have dealt with this issue under one umbrella and in one place. In
Singapore, the Whois subject was distributed across a myriad of meetings and
groups. This alone makes the policy Whois issues and Staff initiatives
difficult to follow and respond to.

But of the Whois issues, the one that raised the most debate and deep concerns
was the WHOIS Accuracy Pilot Study Report -- now the subject of a comment
period due to close in 3 days:
https://www.icann.org/public-comments/whois-ars-pilot-2014-12-23-en. This
session, and particularly this topic, generated serious comments, deep concern
and thoughtful critiques in the public session -- along with surprise to learn
that this work was taking place.

I should note that while the public comment notice is, of course, a place we
should all monitor, it is traditional for Staff to do outreach to communities
and community leaders who might be interested in a topic -- before and at the
outset of a comment period.  But the surprise indicated by leaders across the
GNSO community on this report and this comment period in the Singapore session
indicate clearly that very few of us knew of its existence. In fact, the letter
from Ms. Margie Milam notifying the Whois Review Team of this comment forum
went out only today -- 2/24 -- on the very heels of this deadline.

Accordingly, and in light of the many other issues currently overwhelming the
ICANN Volunteer System, I strongly urge an extension of one month for this
comment proceeding (Whois Accuracy Pilot Study Report). It is a fair request
and a good idea: one that will allow all of us adequate time to review and
write up important issues, including the serious concerns raised in Singapore.

Together we can better flesh out issues of Risks - Costs - Privacy -- critical
issues required by both the Whois Review Team and the GAC -- that merit
considerably more attention before we move forward with the report now before
the Community.

Thank you,
Kathy Kleiman
NCUC/NCSG
Former Vice Chair of the Whois Review Team

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>