ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

OPPOSED

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: OPPOSED
  • From: Mike Place <mp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:11:37 -0600 (MDT)

I oppose this initiative and encourage ICANN not to adopt it.

The very power of the Internet is in its extraordinary value to provide full
and free expression and anonymity. To move away from either value and
especially to encourage ICANN to provide facilities for content filtering is to
deeply wound the very values which make the global communications
infrastructure so valuable to our society.

It should not be within the purview of ICANN to address social problems with
technical solutions.

Please do not approve the petition for the CSC to become a part of the NCSG.

-mp