ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

Do not adopt

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Do not adopt
  • From: Amy Crittenden <theala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:40:18 -0400

I urge ICANN to reject this petition.

I don't need the CSC to perpetrate a system to allow the government to protect me from anything, as they state in their mission statement, "advocating that ICANN policies and the technical development of the Internet should not unduly impair the lawful rights of governments and other organizations of authority to take steps to protect their citizens and members from illegal activity conducted on or through the Internet."

This petition will only lead to censorship. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who decides what content is safe for families and what is not?

Answer: the family themselves. Parents cannot abdicate their responsibility to protect their children to the government without sacrificing their own rights to access information. It's the classic question of security vs freedom.

As Benjamin Franklin put it, "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." There is no way to completely, successfully achieve what the censors want--to get porn completely off the Internet. No more than we can get drugs off the streets. Ultimately, rather than ban or try to block, we are better off educating families on how to keep objectionable content from children.

Amy G. Crittenden