ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

Cyber Safety - A real issue

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Cyber Safety - A real issue
  • From: Allan Smart <getsmart22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:15:10 -0600

It has been very intriguing to read the arguments, both for and against the
formation of a new Cyber Safety Constituency group.  Many of the arguments
against this proposal are fundamentally wrong or are purely ad hominem in
nature.  First and foremost, the formation of the CSC is about accepting the
fact that Internet safety is an important issue to hundreds of millions of
Internet users around the globe - a constituency group that represents a
vital set of worldwide Internet stakeholders.  For ICANN to truly give voice
to all Internet stakeholders, in a bottom-up fashion, it must be responsive
to such broad-based issues.  To believe most of the arguments in opposition
to the CSC is to believe that Internet safety is not an important issue or
the CSC is directed by religious nutcases or controlled by dictatorial
censors.  That is not the case and the irony is that some of these
assertions are made by those who would prohibit the choice of anyone with a
differing opinion than theirs.

In my opinion, any pursued recommendations by the CSC should be guided by
the fundamental principles of:

•    Responsibility – should web publishers be responsible for their
published content?
•    Accountability – if web publishers are responsible for what they do, to
whom and how are they accountable?
•    Choice – is the Internet user’s experience enhanced or restricted, is
there truly choice for all Internet stakeholders?

I believe there are ways of making the Internet experience better for all,
without the fear of censorship.  I see no harm to anyone with the formation
of the CSC and the subsequent discussions therein.

Allan Smart