ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

ACCESSIBILITY... the #1 reason pornography prevails

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ACCESSIBILITY... the #1 reason pornography prevails
  • From: <jcollins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 16:04:50 -0700

World Wide Web,

As a young adult who is actively involved in the lives of teenagers through
being a coach, mentor, speaker, college dorm RA, and senior editor of
www.BlueChowder.com (a clean entertainment and community site for Gen. Y),
I am in strong favor of this constituency.

Of all the youth and adults I interact with, a very small percentage seem
to be okay with the online garbage that is (accidentally) presented to them
daily. The vast majority are down right fed up with it.  We all know the
statistics on the long term effects of pornographic indulgences.  It makes
for unsatisfied husbands, insecure wives, misguided youth, and broken
relationships.

The #1 cause of pornographic encounters (wanted or unwanted) is
ACCESSIBILITY.  Hormones will always rage, lust will always whisper, and
man will always be curious.  But proven countless times in my life and
yours, accessibility is what draws us to the dark things we desire to stay
away from.  Killing the accessibility of online porn would be a great day
of victory in countless households, bedrooms, and dorms.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Collins