ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-eoi-model]

EOI Feedback

  • To: draft-eoi-model@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: EOI Feedback
  • From: Stephen Ruskowski <stephenruskowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:17:05 -0800 (PST)

I am writing to express my support for the structure and
timeline of the Expressions of Interest and Pre-Registration Model as proposed
by ICANN in recently-released paper, “New gTLD Program: Aspects of an
Expression of Interest and Pre-Registration Model.”

I’m pleased that ICANN has adopted a framework for the
EOI/Pre-Registration Model that is coherent and thorough, and which addresses
all valid concerns of stakeholders in the new gTLD process. Specifically, I
commend ICANN for proposing:

a)
that participation in the EOI is mandatory for eligibility to
submit a gTLD application in the first round,

b)
that a deposit of $55,000, non-refundable in very limited
circumstances, be required for EOI/pre-registration applicants,

c)
that participant and string information will be made public.

Requiring a substantial financial commitment and mandatory
participation in the EOI process for gTLD applicants will deter frivolous
applications, while providing ICANN with valuable information about the number
of expected applications.

Again, I commend ICANN for their thoughtful consideration
and adoption of this EOI/pre-registration plan.

 Sincerely,

Stephen RuskowskiFuture Applicant