ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-eoi-model]

Expanding the gTLDs makes ICANN look greedy

  • To: draft-eoi-model@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Expanding the gTLDs makes ICANN look greedy
  • From: Grant McHerron <mcherron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:54:53 +1100

Hi there,

Why is ICANN creating new top-level domains? What purpose do they serve
other than to gain more money for ICANN?

I believe that creating new gTLDs is a bad idea as it creates an artificial
need for companies to register domains under each new TLD to protect their
trademarks and registered names in these areas. I see this backfiring and
companies finally giving up on having to protect themselves in every area,
leading to registrars failing to make sufficient money to cover their ICANN
fees and ongoing cost of operation.

It will also help push us over the edge towards the point where domain names
become unimportant. Already people are saying "just Google it" rather than
trying to remember domains.

My perception of this is that ICANN are trying to earn more money by
creating new virtual space for people to stake their claim in. Instead,
ICANN should be focusing on:

1) Infrastructure issues (ipv6, sec-DNS, anti-spam systems, etc)

2) Governance issues (balancing government, corporate &  civil society to
address globalisation of the Internet, unfiltered/restricted 'net access as
a human right, domain squatting, spammers, phishers, etc)

3) Reduction in ICANN's bloat (do we really need all these people in ICANN?
No wonder you need to bring in more $$$ urgently! :(

4) Move to a virtual environment to reduce the need for physical presence
meetings (get rid of the junkets, no more circus-ICANN, reduce carbon
footprint by NOT travelling so much, etc)

Please do not produce more TLDs - they only serve to make ICANN look like a
greedy corporation artificially creating ways to earn more money.

Regards,

Grant

--

---------