ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-eoi-model]

ICANN's pre-registration for new gTLDs

  • To: "draft-eoi-model@xxxxxxxxx" <draft-eoi-model@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN's pre-registration for new gTLDs
  • From: Adebola Akinkugbe <Adebola.Akinkugbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:13:54 +0100

Following a notification sent to us from the International Trademark
Association on the 11th of January, 2010, that we contribute our input to the
two domain name system developments recently being undertaken by ICANN, pease
our response whether or not ICANN should proceed with pre-registrations for new
gTLDs is provided below.

Although the pre-registration for new gTLDs is an inevitable development which
will open new frontiers in the domain name system (DNS). However, there are
certain issues which continue to require attention.

Such issues include the infringement of trade marks by third parties,
cybersquatting and the consequent need by trademark owners to defensively
register their brands. We also note that such defensive registrations only
afford limited protection as the current ICANN model recommends the protection
of EXACT match to the Trade Mark thus variants would not be protected.

To this extent we align ourselves with ICANN's position that commencing
pre-registrations for new gTLDs is premature in the absence of mechanism put in
place by ICANN to provide adequate protection to Trade Mark owners.

Adebola Akinkugbe
Associate

Aluko &
 Oyebode

35 Moloney Street, Lagos, Nigeria
Tel:                   +234 1 4628360
Mobile:              +234 703 412 7498
Email:
adebola.akinkugbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:adebola.akinkugbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The e-mail is from Aluko & Oyebode and is intended only for the above-named
recipient(s). The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are strictly
confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. Any unauthorised
disclosure, distribution, copying or use of the information herein is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender
via telephone (+234 1 260-0080/4) or e-mail and delete this e-mail and any
attachments from your system.

For further information about Aluko & Oyebode please visit our website at
www.aluko-oyebode.com.