ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-eoi-model]

Comments Regarding Expressions of Interest Process

  • To: draft-eoi-model@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments Regarding Expressions of Interest Process
  • From: Page Frakes <pagefrakes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 00:04:48 +0000

Dear ICANN,

I would like to state my comments for the current Expressions of Interest
("EOI") process, and appreciate the opportunity to make my views heard.

OVERALL SUPPORT OR NON-SUPPORT FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
I support Expressions of Interest I hope that the EOI process will remain
unchanged.

SUBMISSION FEE
There is discussion about the $55,000 (USD) submission fee.   I support a high
fee to discourage gaming.  This fee as it stands, should discourage undue
speculation.

MANDATORY NATURE OF EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
There is also a question about whether Expressions of Interest should be
mandatory for those applying for a new TLD.  New TLD applicants should be
required to submit an EOI.  It is important that the EOI is a part of the new
TLD application process so that ICANN can can gather as much information as
possible to ensure  new TLD's are a success.

REFUNDS
The current EOI model will provide refunds of the submission fee only in
extraordinary circumstances, or unless ICANN is unable to accept new TLD
applications by a particular date.  No refunds unless ICANN fails to produce
new TLDs by 2011.

COMMUNICATION PERIOD
ICANN's draft EOI model contemplates a four-month communication period prior to
accepting EOI submissions. Four months is about right for the communications
plan.

PUBLICATION OF DATA
Finally, there is a question about whether data collected from EOIs should be
made public. ICANN should publish all strings and applicants.

OTHER COMMENTS

Signed,
Page Frakes

pagefrakes@xxxxxxxxx

[This comment comes via the ICANN comment form found at
http://www.mindsandmachines.com/2010/01/let-icann-know-your-position-on-expressions-of-interest.
  This form provides brief descriptions of the issues and allows easy comment
on the Expressions of Interest process.]